[mythtv-users] DVB - W5 (4DTV) & KU/C-Band Question

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Oct 18 16:13:42 UTC 2010

On 10/18/2010 11:50, mike at grounded.net wrote:
>>   As a regular reader, he just wanted to give you the answers right away
>>   thereby making sure it doens't end up in a long thread about it's legal
>>   here, it's illegal there...
> Fair enough... cept for saying that I won't be getting any help trying to break encryption.
> Never once asked that, asked if there was an alternative to the crummy old Motorola box that my provider might not be aware of.

The fact is that free satellite service in North America is rather
limited, and most people coming in here for help intend to access an
encrypted subscription service.  There are no tuner cards available of
handling such encryption natively, and the vast majority of threads
started are asking for ways to bypass it externally.

Nick may have called foul prematurely, but nine out of ten threads on
this topic, he would have been correct.