[mythtv-users] FCC releases CableCard changes

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Mon Oct 18 15:49:27 UTC 2010

On 10/18/2010 10:39 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

> True, since companies usually use a rule-of-thumb like "each letter actually represents 100 (or whatever) people".
>
> The problem is writing a letter (paper or electrons) that actually makes it to the exec's eyes, and not some overworked
> assistant who simply chalks up another tick mark under "unhappy".

Exactly. I've taken the time to write to some companies with good response. But the bigger they are, the harder it is to get a letter to the real person at the top and not one of their minions.

> It would probably actually help to not mention Linux or MythTV, the few execs who have actually heard of either are likely
> to write them off as pirates or cranks.
>
> Tivo users are probably at least a little more socially acceptable.

What about microsoft users?

In any case, I agree.. it would be very easy to write:

"I'm discontinuing|hesitant to buy your services"....."because of the growing demand of control of HOW, WHEN and WHERE I can watch the content I buy with your services. We all have busy lives and I see no reason to spend $xxx per month, when I *MUST* be AT HOME, IN FRONT of the TV at PRECISELY 8pm on SATURDAY night when I have other commitments planned. Therefore, I (am hesitant|refuse to continue) to spend more money on your services which I am not allowed to enjoy."

Ya know?

I have the most basic of cableTV only because my G/F demands it. I would be happy watching shows on the internet (well under my BW cap -- because they're so few in number). She pushes and I push back that it's more channels of nothing. We can't justify spending the $30 or more for just a couple more channels ESPECIALLY when she's in school and I work a lot where I can't watch it.

So there's actually $360/yr they AREN'T getting from me at all - and I'm much less likely to spend when I know my TiVo or Myth won't be able to do anything.

Hmm.. I need to get writing that letter. Hahaha.

  -Ben