[mythtv-users] DVB - W5 (4DTV) & KU/C-Band Question

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Mon Oct 18 00:00:57 UTC 2010

I figure this has got to be the place to ask this.

After spending weeks reading everything I can, there are still a lot of mysteries in my quest to learn more about the following.

I have a 6' C-band dish which I replaced my DTV service with. We were paying nearly $100/Month mainly for channels we didn't care about until we found out about W5 which has everything we want plus saving us about $60/Month as a bonus.
I also have a KU dish which I use to pick up news when big things break out because I'm sick of CNN, FOX and any of the other big networks BS take on things.

I contacted my W5 (formerly 4DTV) provider asking if there might be a DVB card out there that could work with this service. I was told there are no cards which can work with the encryption being used. So my first question is... is this for sure? Quite often, asking around leads to other input which isn't always the same.
My hope would be to build a myth based pvr that picks up the channels directly from the card, that would give me the very best quality vs using cables to connect inputs and outputs. And of course, that's what I'll do if that's all there is for choice.

My next question is, I also bought a WinTV-Nova-HD-S2 DVB-S2 Tuner Card when I bought all of this hardware so that I might install it and pick up my KU or C-band FTA using the card.
I wondered if there are others on the list doing just that and if so, if they might have some thoughts or input on doing this.

Thanks very much.

Mike