[mythtv-users] FCC releases CableCard changes

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 20:17:47 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> Wow. I'd guess that is a "mistake" on their part, not intentional.
>
> Of course it *should* be the way you have it, anything you have paid to watch you should be able to record and watch
> later, I thought that was the whole point of the Betamax decision.
>
> I could understand if PPV or On-Demand viewing of "Premium Content" (meaning movies still in theaters or within a short
> window after that) was not available for copying, but anything beyond that is just greed.
>
> If you have a change of status in the next few days we will know for certain that they are monitoring this list.

Not so-- Many comcast markets have most of the non-premium channels
set to copy freely as a compromise for TiVo Cablecard users to allow
playback with TiVo's desktop streaming software.  It won't work for
channels and programs marked copy never.  Note that there may be some
parallels between the copy protection flags and firewire output, but
one doesn't necessarily imply the other.

Robert