[mythtv-users] [SOLVED] Re: HD playback on Myth, 0-23-fixes

Liam Friel liam.friel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 20:46:56 UTC 2010

Just an update on this: I noticed what my problem was eventually.

My (rather simplistic) assumption that since VDPAU was working in XBMC that
it would also work in MythTV turned out to be wrong.

XBMC 9.11 was happy with the VDPAU version I had installed, *but* this was
the default version 185 which came with Ubuntu 9.10

The Myth 0.23 fixes branch required libvdpau > 0.2, which does not come by
default in Ubuntu 9.10.
So while you could select VDPAU in the Playback settings, it paid no
attention to you. CPU usage for HD decoding was > 1 core worth on my Atom
machine, and although that did appear to leave CPU headroom left over, Myth
didn't like it and we got the prebuffering pauses.

In fairness to it, it did warn me gently about this VDPAU business when I
ran ./configure before building ... but I did not notice.

So this was a good excuse to upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

So the sequence:

* upgrade to 10.04
* $sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
(pulseaudio caused all manner of audio troubles for me on 10.04)
* svn up on the 0.23 fixes branch, just in case
* make clean
* ./configure
* make
* sudo make install
* and turn on additional audio buffering in Settings ...

.. and all was well

I now have perfect HD playback using "VDPAU Normal" for playback. And DVB-T
as well!
Happy days.