[mythtv-users] N220GT nVidia Drivers

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Oct 14 00:51:46 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, October 13, 2010 06:30:47 pm mike at grounded.net wrote:
> > How to use a PVR-500:1) plug it into a PCI slot
> > 2) boot Linux
> > 3) make sure you can see it in lspci
> > 4) make sure the ivtv driver attached to it (dmesg)
> > 5) attach inputs
> > 6) use it.  /dev/video0 and /dev/video1 (or as reported in dmesg)
>
> Well, this is where I'm at and I'm asking from then, what?
>
> As I've said,
> I have MPEG: ./dev/video0 and MPEG:/dev/video1 in the Capture cards
> section. I have Analog and Digital entries in the Video Sources. In the
> Digital section, I have my guide account data. In the Input connection
> section, I have all of the inputs, two of each, Tuner, S-Video, Composite,
> etc.
>
> Your item 6, use it, is where the information ends that I'm looking for :).

Make sure you have completed all of the steps in Mythconfig, don't back (escape) out, they must all be completed.

Make sure you have specified a valid start channel for each tuner, so something will be there. Make sure you have the
correct RF frequency table selected.

If you plan to use baseband video input, make sure you have specified a channel change program. For initial testing, with
manual tuning, you can just specify "/bin/true", since that will always report success, even though it does nothing.

You mentioned you have no easy way to get schedule data, but you need to get it somehow. Here in the US we generally use
Schedules Direct, but I can't help you with what's best for your neck of the woods. You need to fill the database somehow.
Perhaps someone in your area can assist.

Go to the main menu and select "Watch TV". If everything's working, you should have TV on your monitor.

If you get nothing, check your logs for any clues.

It might be a good idea to manually tune the tuner(s), or specify baseband input, using the v4lctl commands, then do a
"cat /dev/videox" to a file, then try to play that file outside Myth (mplayer or similar).

It's always best to make sure everything is working *outside* of Myth, so you know your hardware is working, then start
with Myth, secure in the knowledge that your H/W works.