[mythtv-users] How MANY backend threads!?!?!?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Oct 13 23:33:11 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, October 13, 2010 05:07:41 pm Robert McNamara wrote:

> I want to clarify that it is a *totally valid option* to remain at a
> given release of MythTV.  I just want people to start realizing that
> perpetually upgrading with the same hardware is not going to be
> possible forever, and that some of the new features planned on both
> front and backend may make the idea of running *new* versions of myth
> on whatever you can find in your closet impossible.

I'm not so sure of that, I have some pretty beefy machines in my closet :-)

But your point is well taken, as is the warning.

> We'd love for everyone to join us on the journey, but we're absolutely
> okay with the people who can or will only run on old or low power
> hardware putting the brakes on.  That's a matter of the user's
> priorities-- they just can't fault the devs when our priorities don't
> align.

Sure we can, we expect to receive every penny's worth that we have paid for Myth :-)

Processing-hungry features are best added as things that can be used or disabled at the user's discretion, though I
realize that some things do not lend themselves to that possibility.

If I haven't said it enough: Much thanks to all of the devs for all of their hard work over the years. MythTV is one of
the more successful open source projects IMHO, and one I point to often as an example of what OSS can be.