[mythtv-users] How MANY backend threads!?!?!?

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 22:53:56 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>wrote:

> The original reporter's hardware was manufactured before the first
> public release of MythTV.  My tongue in cheek answer was meant to
> explain that given my informal knowledge of myself and the rest of the
> devs, function and features trump making Myth work with decade-old
> hardware or plug systems.  I just don't see any point in the future
> where making Myth run acceptably on a sheevaplug, or a P3/900 is even
> remotely a priority.

I see no reason that an interested person couldn't look into profiling the
weak points in the backend code, though.  If you want to use that P3/900 for
a frontend, all bets are off, but for backend ONLY...  there may be some
chance, but someone will need to do the hard work of finding the issues.  We
just aren't focused on enabling toasters to run as backends.  If you guys
want to put in the work, there are some of us that would be receptive to
working with you to make things more efficient where possible.  However, we
aren't likely to take the time to find the bottlenecks for you, nor are we
able to for every configuration.

The original poster needs to clarify what exactly this box is doing (as both
Mike and I have pointed out already) to get any kind of sane answer to his
underlying problem.  Meanwhile, upgrading really will fix the issues :)

It is also possibly a lack of RAM issue.  If that poor box is running in
swap, yer asking for pain.