[mythtv-users] Report: Watch out! UB435-Q V2 is NOT the same as UB435-Q

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Oct 13 14:35:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 6:22 AM, Gavin Peters <gavin at ytz.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:18 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Gavin Peters <gavin at ytz.ca> wrote:
>> > I just cracked my KW-UB435-Q V2 open, here's some of the chips I
>> > identified:
>> > Surface mount chips with many leads:
>> > Labelled as a "7th generation tuner": LGDT3305
>> > A very big chip (big here means 9mm square): NXP / TDA18271HDC2
>> > Small chip on reverse side: CeMPIA / EM2874b
>> > And that's it for the microchip looking things on this device.  There's
>> > few larger items that look like voltage converters or transistors, and a
>> > few
>> > crystal looking things.  I don't know much about electronics.
>>
>> Three main chips is correct. The older card is an NXP TDA18271HD/C2
>> digital tuner, LG DT3304 atsc demodulator and eMPIA 2870 bridge
>> chipset. So this one isn't very different, just a newer demod and a
>> slightly different bridge chip. Both the demod and bridge chip should
>> be fully supported, so it should indeed mostly be a case of connect
>> the dots. Hopefully, its got a different usb device ID from the v1...
>
> Indeed it does.  The  USB ID from lsusb is 1b80:e346.

Okay, that much is a relief. They didn't change device ids between the
early 340u and later 340u and the first ub435-q, and they do have
slightly different components (HD/C1 vs. HD/C2 tuner, which are
fortunately handled interchangeably by the tda18271 tuner driver).

> I've read the code briefly: it looks like I need to figure out mask/value
> amounts to put in the em28xx_reg_seq, tda18271_std_map, and a few other
> locations?

Yep. I'd start out by basically copying all the additions I made for
the 340u/ub435-q v1 and then start modifying them as needed. Ah, to
heck with it. Try this on for starters:

http://wilsonet.com/jarod/kworld-hacking/kworld-ub435-q-v2.patch

If we're lucky, they really only changed out parts, and there isn't
much of anything else to be done. If they wired things up a bit
different, bus snooping and/or prodding may be required to figure out
the differences needed in the gpio pin setup, demod config and
standard map.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com