[mythtv-users] N220GT nVidia Drivers

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Oct 13 13:21:58 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, October 12, 2010, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:
>> The binary-only nvidia X driver entirely replaces the open-source nv
>> or nouveau X driver. The binary-only X driver also requires a
>> binary-only kernel driver.
>
> I'm trying to understand this. The nouveau option is in the grub.conf upon install so it's never that one.

The grub option disables the nouveau kernel mode setting module. The
nouveau X driver will still function without it loaded from your
ignited, but the nvidia binary driver will not, which is why it's
there.

> The binary only would be the proprietary drivers from nvidia right?

Yes.

> So, are you trying to tell me that the drivers I just installed are useless?

For mythtv playback, mostly, yes. At least, you'll be doing 100% of
your video decoding in software, running on your CPU, whack mostly
defeats the purpose of the card you got. You want to get the binary
nvidia driver working.

--jarod

--
Jarod Wilson