[mythtv-users] One problem channel (SOLVED)

Marc Williams marcjw53 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 22:24:41 UTC 2010

On 10/03/2010 09:27 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Sunday, October 03, 2010 08:12:24 am Marc Williams wrote:
>>    I'm a fairly new Myth user in the US.  I've set up a separate backend
>> and frontend to go along with my dual tuner HDHomeRun.  It all works
>> quite well and am so far quite impressed.
>>
>> But just in the past couple days something odd has happened to my ABC
>> affiliate channel.  Even though the signal strength is at or close to
>> 100%, the picture is all jerky and is not sync'ed at all (not even
>> close) to the audio.  When I feed the signal directly to the TV it's
>> fine so I don't think it's a bad signal.  I've bounced all devices and
>> I've deleted and rescanned all the channels (about 25 of them) but the
>> problem remains with just that one channel.
>>
>> Any ideas or troubleshooting tips would be most welcome.  Thanks!
> Just some ideas:
>
> Make sure that when you check with your TV set you are using the exact same cable that feeds your HDHR, using the same
> splitters, cable, fittings etc.
>
> See if the problem exists with both HDHR tuners.
>
> Signal strength itself often means nothing, you could have multi-path problems resulting in plenty of signal, but it's
> unusable due to the multiple paths. It's the BER (bit error rate) or "symbol quality" that actually means something.
>
> Are all your stations coming from the same transmitter site? If the ABC station is significantly closer or farther away, it
> might explain the different performance, though of course that probably hasn't changed in the past couple of days (though
> you never know).
>
> Look for anything that has changed in the "past couple of days", a building going up, trees planted and the like. It's
> autumn, and leaves are falling, but that usually improves things.
>
> An email to the station's engineering department (usually listed on their web site), asking (in a cordial manner of
> course) if anything has changed, couldn't hurt.
>
> The above assumes you are receiving the channels off the air, if they are cable QAM then you might contact the cable
> company (and you would be extremely lucky to get 25 clear QAM channels).

To anyone who also may have been running into problems with KSTP and
stumbles across this thread:

When searching for an answer to my issues I found this thread:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...v/users/455048
<http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/455048>

It detailed why we were having problems with just that channel. Short
answer: KSTP's new encoder broke things. When the debug logs were
presented to the myth devs they wrote a workaround and committed it. I
waited a day until those fixes would show up in the Mythbuntu daily
AutoBuilds and applied it from there. Works great.