[mythtv-users] HDPVR + Firewire in a Group?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 19:59:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 3:41 PM, David Madsen <david.madsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> yea, that's the backup plan, just record everything through the HDPVR.
>> I like the idea of firewire though since a lot of the channels I get
>> are 1080i and from what I've read the HDPVR pretty much only works
>> when recording 720p.
>
> I have a similar setup.  It should be as simple as creating an input group
> for the box, and adding both the firewire tuner and the HDPVR tuner to that
> input group.  Each tuner would have it's own source with the channels you
> want that tuner to be able to record.  I have an external channel change
> script that I use for both inputs that change the channel on the box over
> firewire.  I have a Scientific Atlanta box, but I imagine that there is a
> standalone program that can change channels over firewire for your box as
> well.
>
> The external script is useful since you can add some additional delay on the
> changes to allow the resolution and everything to stabilize before starting
> the HDPVR.  This isn't as necessary on trunk builds with the new signal
> monitor setup for the HDPVR, but on older builds it is definitely needed.
> The only downside to having the delay is if you use LiveTV for channel
> surfing, since it will add that delay on every channel change.  I don't use
> LiveTV very often so this works out fine for me.
>
> On a side note, I have my cable box set up to just pass through the source
> resolution to the HDPVR and I haven't had any issues recording at 1080i,
> 720p, or 480p/i.  I have also seen reports of others having issues with
> 1080i, but I decided to try it anyway, and it *works for me*; YMMV.
>
> --Dave

thanks for the info Dave! I have a script right now as well for
channel changing, so I may just modify that one for my setup. I need
to see how long I'll need for a delay between changing channels and
the new output being appropriate, as well as how to prevent the on
screen display stuff on the cable box from fubar'ing any recordings.

The Motorola boxes don't do pass through, it's 720p or 1080i no matter
what the source (another nice thing about capturing over firewire...),
so I'll give 1080i a shot, luckily ESPN is in the clear for me so I
can capture that over firewire and avoid further deteriorating the
quality for sporting events.

thanks!
--
Steve