[mythtv-users] Keypress to jump to particular recording group

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 00:43:21 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Dan Wilga
> <mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
>> I'd like to be able to have single remote control keypresses defined that
>> will jump between various recording groups (like the one my wife and I watch
>> from, as opposed to the kids'). I've looked at the available commands on
>> port 6546 and can't find anything applicable. Has anyone come up with a way
>> to do this?
>
> Short answer: no, at least not me.  The keybindings and jumppoint
> interfaces don't let you specify an argument, such as the name of a
> recording group.  I tried defining a macro on my remote control that
> brings up the menu, selects the Change Group Filter item, jumps to the
> top of the list, then moves down a certain number of items, and
> selects.  This works OK as long as the set of recording groups stays
> the same, which doesn't always happen (e.g., the Deleted group may
> come and go).
>
> In the end, I modified my mainmenu.xml to have shortcuts for different
> recording groups (as well as Videos, Live TV, and other common
> shortcuts), along with a button on the remote mapped to the Main Menu
> jumppoint, and this seems to work really well for the family, even
> though it's still 3 button presses switch groups.  I also slightly
> modified my theme to make a two-column layout so that all the common
> operations could go in mainmenu.xml without scrolling.
>
> Jim

While in the Watch Recording screen, you can hit whatever key you have
mapped to PAGELEFT or PAGERIGHT to cycle through the recording groups.
 Personally, I have these mapped to Rewind and FastForward on my
remote.

It is possible for a theme to display the recgroup(s) on Watch
Recordings screen, as well.  For example MythCenter-wide will show the
current recgroup above the list of programs.  In
themes/MythCenter-wide/recordings-ui.xml it defines a <buttonlist
name="recgroups"> section, which determines how that looks.

Also, if you want, the theme could display the whole list of
recgroups, instead of just the current one.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?