[mythtv-users] HDHR 0-byte recordings

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Sat Oct 9 20:54:52 UTC 2010

On 10/9/2010 10:50 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/09/2010 01:34 PM, James Orr wrote:
>> As of last night any scheduled recordings on my HDHR are 0-byte and I get
>> these messages in the log ...
>>
>> 2010-10-09 13:26:57.927 ProgramInfo(4081_20101009131200.mpg), Error:
>> GetPlaybackURL: '4081_20101009131200.mpg' should be local, but it can not be
>> found.
>>
>> Searching the archive suggests I need to rescan channels, however everything
>> works fine on Live TV, it's only scheduled recordings that are not working.
>> Surely if the channel numbers had changed it wouldn't work on live either?
>
> Tuning is generally done differently in Live TV and recordings. The approach
> used in Live TV is typically less reliable, but can be faster and, since
> someone is watching Live TV, it's not a big deal if it fails (they'll notice
> and fix it). The approach used for tuning recordings, however, is more
> reliable--but requires valid channel information. In some circumstances, the
> shortcut used for Live TV tuning can continue to work for a while after
> channel changes.
>
> It's definitely worth a try--you've got nothing to lose but a bit of your time.
>
> Back up the database: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
> Delete all video sources:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034
> Then re-create video sources, input connections, then rescan.
>
> If it gets worse, just restore the backup.

Mike,
Can you provide any more detail on this tuning difference? I've been having
the same problem, but randomly, since I upgraded from 0.23 to 0.23.1 about
three weeks ago. Live TV on all my HDHR tuners seems fine on all the
configured channels. But unpredictably, scheduled recordings will come up
missing or 0-byte.

Yes, I can delete and re-add the HDHRs. But, if I can manually fix whatever is
now wrong in 0.23.1, it'll save a bunch of customizations.

Thanks,
Kirk Bocek