[mythtv-users] Report: Kworld UB435-Q working well!

Gavin Peters gavin at ytz.ca
Thu Oct 7 14:39:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin at cs.duke.edu>wrote:

> Gavin Peters [gavin at ytz.ca] wrote:
> >
> > Firstly, the UB435-Q driver isn't found in the Ubuntu 10.04 kernel.  So I
> > cherry picked from trunk these two revisions to add it:
>
> Do you have a DKMS way of doing this (so you can apt-get update w/o
> fear of a kernel update disabling the tuner?).  I've been using one
> for about a year now, using a patched dvb tree from before the support
> made it into trunk.  Kernel updates are ... interesting.

No; I simply cherry picked the patches that implemented support in my
earlier message, and built only the required modules in a kernel source
directory.  I will need to repeat this at each kernel upgrade.  I do not
know much about the kernel build process, so I did as little as possible to
get it working for me.

Should we make a DKMS path for this?  This tuner seems desirable to have
support for, since it will help other people and it's very, very cheap.

>  > Secondly, I'm surprised: the quality using an indoor antenna with this
> very
> > cheap USB tuner is actually better than I had with my HDHomeRun devices.
>
> Yes, it uses a high quality LGDT 3304 based digital demod.  The HDHR's
> digital demod is terrible, especially if you have multipath issues.

Yeah.  I'll try putting my external antenna on one of these, and see how it
does.  I bet it will be wonderful!  I have significant multipath issues,
since I am in an urban environment and relatively close to my transmitters.

- Gavin