[mythtv-users] Is this system just too old?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Oct 7 13:15:27 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, October 06, 2010 06:39:53 pm Anthony Giggins wrote:

> > Were you using XVmC?  a 700 Mhz. Coppermine core is right on the edge of
> > being able to handle MPEG2 in software.
> >
> > Dell stopped putting hardware MPEG decoders in their machines about the
> > time CPU speeds hit 500/600 Mhz. This was for DVD
> > playback, so it was SD. I would assume they had highly-optimized code for
> > DVD playback, so I'd think a 700Mhz. unit would
> > probably need help, or be very marginal.
>
> Yes I was using XVmC hence the Nvidia 5200 :)

Ah, thought so, a 700 Mhz. CPU would have trouble with MPEG2.

I remember struggling to get XVmC working, and having problems with monochrome OSDs and the like, but it did allow low-
powered CPUs to play back SD MPEG2.

I guess today's equivalent would be VDPAU, I don't think I'd even consider using a non-VDPAU video card for a  Myth system
today, unless it was using a CrystalHD module.