[mythtv-users] Report: Kworld UB435-Q working well!

Gavin Peters gavin at ytz.ca
Thu Oct 7 12:23:00 UTC 2010

I just got a UB435-Q to add a third tuner to my backend (the other two are
on my HDHR).  I bought it at NewEgg for $cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260023&Tpk=UB435-Q

Firstly, the UB435-Q driver isn't found in the Ubuntu 10.04 kernel.  So I
cherry picked from trunk these two revisions to add it:

http://git.linuxtv.org/media_tree.git?a=commit;h=804258c95f9b782b1916eeb4fe280b119ad5b152
http://git.linuxtv.org/media_tree.git?a=commit;h=7e48b30af033076c85ab48a8306b5588faf5fb4b

This was easy, and I'm happy to write a shell script & howto if anyone would
like to know how (email me off list, and I'll forward it here if there are
requests).

Secondly, I'm surprised: the quality using an indoor antenna with this very
cheap USB tuner is actually better than I had with my HDHomeRun devices.
 Especially since my outdoor antenna wobbles a bit in the wind and I lose
NBC + Fox, I may well find myself preferring my indoor antenna.  I'll
experiment with it and see.

- Gavin