[mythtv-users] Is this system just too old?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Oct 7 00:22:25 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, October 06, 2010 06:14:01 pm Anthony Giggins wrote:
> > That should be fine for MPEG2 SD content, I was running a 700Mhz P3 for
> > my first myth box with an nividia 5200.

Were you using XVmC?  a 700 Mhz. Coppermine core is right on the edge of being able to handle MPEG2 in software.

Dell stopped putting hardware MPEG decoders in their machines about the time CPU speeds hit 500/600 Mhz. This was for DVD
playback, so it was SD. I would assume they had highly-optimized code for DVD playback, so I'd think a 700Mhz. unit would
probably need help, or be very marginal.