[mythtv-users] Themes licenses and vdpau

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Oct 5 17:41:24 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, October 05, 2010 11:25:29 am Robert McNamara wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I can read Arclight's license (gpl2), but since it has restrictions on
> > font redistribution, it may be a deal breaker..  blue-abstract has no
> > licensing file included at all AFAIK..
>
> There's no real restriction on the font redistribution, both fonts are
> redistributable without issue.  If you do redistribute them they need
> to include a copy of their license (which basically just says, don't
> modify these fonts and do include this license).  The rest of the
> theme is GPLv2 so you can do with it what you please.

Please do not equate the GLPv2 (or any version of the GPL) with "you can do with it what you please", it's not true.

Thinking it is so led to the TiVo fiasco, and a lot of devices for which source code is difficult or impossible to obtain.
Sometimes just by assuming that GPL meant no restrictions at all, and sometimes with a deliberate intent to violate the
terms.

The GPLs are very unrestrictive, but they are not licenses to do anything you like. It is definitely NOT like something
being in the public domain, for example.

A very common violation is to not include a copy of the GPL itself, or a link to it, causing people to not understand
their rights.

Sorry to be picky, but as an FSF member I feel the need to make sure the record is straight.