[mythtv-users] xorg.conf for fx5200

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Oct 5 14:34:47 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, October 05, 2010 08:24:47 am mike at grounded.net wrote:
> > It looks like you've been having fun in this thread!!!
>
> I could keep trying for ever so long as I didn't see the negative useless
> posts from folks who don't read everything yet complain that others are
> helping someone. That's just so damned old these days.
>
> > First question.. are you trying to do SD or HD here? By TV-OUT do  you
> > mean S-Video/Composite Video?
>
> For simple output, SD is just fine. When I started looking into myth, I was
> thinking that I would probably have an STB on each TV and those didn't
> have to be HD, but could be. But for my HD projector, I would much rather
> have HD. I'm just not too worried about getting HD right off the bat,
> mostly just wanted to get some hands on time with myth.
>
> > If you are prepared to start again from scratch with Mythbuntu you'd
> > probably be successful for SD, but I'm not sure that the FX5200 would
> > be capable of HD without a powerful CPU.
>
> I was going to order a GT220 or something along those lines but of course,
> still have the fx5200. No harm in trying one more time. Not worth spending
> money on another card if I don't need to since all I care about for direct
> output is SD, at least for now.
>
> > To get the Nvidia drivers working when I upgraded Ubuntu from 8 to 10
> > recently I used a package called jockey which seemed to handle the
> > problem quite well.
>
> That's the next problem, mythbuntu won't install on either of the boards
> I'm using. There aren't any errors, during the initializing process, the
> cursor simply goes into the upper left hand corner and that's it, end of
> install. No logs to check, no errors output, nothing. I found that
> mythdora, the DVD does install so if I can use that, I would be happy to
> do another a nice fresh install with the fx5200 in there.

You might try getting an older version of Mythdora, like Mythdora5. The video drivers are on the DVD, it doesn't depend on
getting anything from nVidia. It should work well with a 5200.

I'm not sure how the newer Mythdora's handle older video cards, but you can get very good system-specific support on the
Mythdora forums.