[mythtv-users] xorg.conf for fx5200

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 22:05:13 UTC 2010

On 21 September 2010 00:32, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:
>> one of the motherboards they built using bad capacitors and causes many
>> issues including no or weird video. I have three that I was able to get
>
> Good call, very true. In fact, this mobo was in my going to the trash pile but I gave it one more shot.
> Once fired up, it always seemed to run fine but getting it started, to boot up, was always a challenge.
> I have since put it into it's new case, with a new power supply and so far, it's been acting as well as it should.

Mike,

It looks like you've been having fun in this thread!!!

I can tell you that Myth runs fine on my P3 900Mhz Ubuntu 10.0.4 Myth
0.23 based system with an FX5200. This is for SD TV only. I drive my
TV using a VGA->SCART circuit rather than the TV-OUT though.

First question.. are you trying to do SD or HD here? By TV-OUT do  you
mean S-Video/Composite Video?

If you are prepared to start again from scratch with Mythbuntu you'd
probably be successful for SD, but I'm not sure that the FX5200 would
be capable of HD without a powerful CPU.

The stuff to do with VDPAU libararies is a bit strange, but you won't
be using VDPAU anyway as the 5200 doesn't support it! The XOrg logs
look like the nvidia driver has loaded...

To get the Nvidia drivers working when I upgraded Ubuntu from 8 to 10
recently I used a package called jockey which seemed to handle the
problem quite well.

In any case you need to do this one step at a time:

1) Get Ubuntu installed & the thing to boot up using TV-OUT until the
graphics mode starts.
2) Get X to work in TV-OUT
3) Install the Nvidia drivers.
4) Get Myth to work.
5)  Get myth to work with XVMC drivers...

Cheers

Steve