[mythtv-users] Play movies on FE from BE?

Michelle Dupuis mdupuis at ocg.ca
Sun Oct 3 14:50:32 UTC 2010

I'm a longtime Myth user, who is now splitting FE from BE.  Generally things are working (but I'm still trying to get my head around some things).  I've got a lot of movies on my BE, mostly stored as ISO's, some AVI's.   I have posters, descriptions, etc. everything setup great on the BE.

On the FE when I click play movie from library I see a single entry called "Unknown Prefix".  If I click that I see "storage".  If I click that I see "Uknown Prefix", "Movies-Local".  ("unknown prefix" seems to loop back the first entry).  If I click "Movies-Local" I see the movies on my BE (plus "storage:).

If I click a movie, I see the description but no artwork.  If I select play I see "Failed to open xxx.avi in /storage/movies-..." which does not exist on my FE.  Yes in my settings I have "Directories that hold videos: /var/lib/mythvideo"

------

So...HELP.  What a mess.  Where do I start?

1. Can a FE play movies stored on the BE?
2. Where is the storage heirarchy coming from with the looped "unknown prefix"
3. What is the "unknown prefix"
4. How do I fix this?

Thanks!!
MD