[mythtv-users] Mythweb fails after upgrade. (ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 3 08:05:59 UTC 2010

  On 10/02/2010 11:04 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 10/02/2010 05:53 PM, Oz Dror wrote:
>> OK I solved the problem
>> I had to edit the mysql database. I had to manually edit the settings
>> record and set the hostname to null for the value MasterServerPort.
>> The hostname was already null for the value MasterServerIP.
> This may be dangerous to your setup. IIRC, without looking it up, the
> hostname default is and the port default is NULL in the
> MythBackend.php code.
> Since the get_backend_setting function fails to change these, the
> '!$host || !$port' test always fails and you see the error message.
> But making BOTH null is not the correct way to go.
> On a BE/FE box, MasterServerIP and BackendServerIP should be the same,
> and should be the real IP address of the box: the address which the
> router sees the box as. The MasterServerPort is 6543. (Yes it appears
> you can get away with but not for long!)
> You can easily see why will not work for any setup where the
> BE and FE are on different boxes. (Among other things, mysql likely
> will not work!)

He means that someone had directly edited his database data and put
invalid/corrupt data into the database.  The MasterServerPort setting
had been made a host-specific setting--meaning the record in the
database had a non-NULL value for hostname.  The correction he made is
valid.  Whomever is editing the database and putting that garbage in
needs to fix their stuff...  We've had 3 tickets regarding this issue,
plus several threads on the lists.  Maybe it's a broken packager script
or something doing it, but it would be nice if someone who experiences
the issue would identify who's breaking users' database data.