[mythtv-users] How to watch recordings on a laptop

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Sat Oct 2 17:00:43 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Jay Foster <jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I copied the (non-transcoded) file to my Windows machine, and VLC and Media
> player still fail to play it.  MPlayer would.  It takes less than half the
> program length of time to copy the file, so network bandwidth still does not
> look like my problem.  I have tried both a wired and wireless connection
> with the same results.
>

>> Could this be problem with samba?  Does it need to be configured specially
> to handle streaming large files?  They copy just fine.

Could it be possible that samba is corrupting the file when you copy it via
the network... doesn't seem likely.  You could confirm by copying the file
with SCP or SFTP http://winscp.net/eng/index.php.

I'm actually a bit suprised that it didn't play locally.  Next thing to try
is connecting the HDHR to the windows machine and watching live tv with
VLC.  In theory, the file you copied from your backend is just a dump of the
stream... so playing back from the HDHR should have the same issue.

Another thing to try is playing the file on a different windows machine...
perhaps yours does have something unusual going on.