[mythtv-users] How to watch recordings on a laptop

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 1 15:16:33 UTC 2010

I've been looking for a way to watch my myth TV recordings (MPEG2-TS
HDHR recordings) from a laptop (or other computer).  The laptop is
running Windows7.

I've tried using Windows media player, VLC, and MPlayer (SMPlayer), but
they fail in different ways.  VLC will show the first frame and freeze.
  MPlayer will play a second, freeze, replay that same second, freeze,
and then skip ahead and repeat.  Windows media player plays a black
screen with no audio.

However, VLC and MPlayer WILL play the raw HDHR file in Linux on the
backend, but the Windows versions will not over the network.  I've tried
both a wired ethernet (100mbps) and WiFi network connections and get the
same result.  I don't think this is a network bandwidth issue.

If I first do a lossless transcode on the HDHR MPEG2-TS recordings, then
they play fine.  I have the same issue when trying to play them using
uPnP directly to the TV.

Is there something different about the Linux versions of VLC and MPlayer
from the Windows versions?  Is there some VLC or MPlayer command line
option that would get this to work (I haven't found one)?

Is there a way to make a custom user job that will perform the
equivalent of a lossless transcode WITHOUT honoring the commflag cutlist?

Jay