[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 1950, was: (no subject)

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Oct 1 13:33:01 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 08:07:44AM +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Rafic Gho wrote:
>
> >Hello Simon. My kernel version is 2.6.32. Should I upgrade to
> >2.6.35.7 that I found as the latest stable Kernel? And how is
> >possible to upgrade, I can not make internet connections either.
> >Thanks.

...some Unix driver basics.

    Everything is a file, even your devices. If your device is fully
recognized by the OS and a driver is loaded then there should be a
device file in the place where these things live: /dev.

    For video capture devices, that's typically something like /dev/video0.

    Pop open a terminal and see if the "device node" is present.

    Something like "ls /dev/video*".

    You can read and write from this directly or tell an application to
use this file to access a device. MythTV won't go out and check by itself
to see if a device is present. You have to tell it yourself.

    Something like "cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg" is a simple way to test
if your device is working. After a few seconds, test.mpg should have
stuff in it and be playable with any of the desktop media players like
mplayer, vlc, xine or totem.

    lsmod is also something to familiarize yourself with.

> I'd say not - 32 is higher than 26 and so the drivers you need
> should be both present and stable, or at least I'd have thought so.
> I know that when I started off, while the drivers I needed were in
> the version of the kernel I had, it was the first release with them
> and they weren't complete/stable. IIRC I pulled in a later version
> from the testing version of the distro I use (Debian) - but that was
> a while ago.
[deletia]