[mythtv-users] 0.24-fixes, upgraded, VDPAU - LiveTV playback is choppy, watching as recording is ok

Dave Richardson mythtv at derdev.com
Tue Nov 30 21:37:24 UTC 2010

 Like so many open threads these days, I'll also say "on 0.23 - with the
 same hardware - this was working..."  :-)

 I have my HD local channels QAM thru HDHR with multirec enabled.  Audio
 is SPDIF ALSA, passthru enabled.  0.24-fixes upgraded recently.

 I have noticed that watching LiveTV for local HD broadcasts is very
 choppy (both video and audio).  It never syncs up to smooth playback.
 Some channels differ in the degree of choppiness.  Does not appear to
 differ if I choose another HDHR tuner.

 System utilization (via 'top' or 'w') on a 2-core dedicated ION FE less
 than .90 at all times and generally less than .60 while I see the issue.

 I'm not seeing streams of errors in the mythfrontend.log

 What confuses me is that if I record that same program/channel and
 watch the recording (even while recording is still active) the playback
 is great.
 All other video media playback fine.

 I don't understand why LiveTV playback seems to have different
 "performance", what should I be checking please?

 TIA!!!