[mythtv-users] Sluggish Video

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Tue Nov 30 20:17:03 UTC 2010

On 11/30/2010 11:37 AM, mike at grounded.net wrote:
>>>   I don't have any choice on this machine, it's a server never meant to be
>>>   used as a media machine but it's got USB ports which allows me to use a
>>>   USB soundblaster device for audio.
>>>
>>   You do have a choice.  Considering there is no hardware support in
>>   PulseAudio, it is either accessing that sound card through ALSA or OSS.
> Since the server doesn't have any audio built in, I need to use a USB device.
>
> How do I find out what it's using?
>
> # aplay -l
> card 0: Go [SB X-Fi Go!], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
>    Subdevices: 0/1
>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> # aplay -L
> default
> front:CARD=Go,DEV=0
>      SB X-Fi Go!, USB Audio
>      Front speakers
> surround40:CARD=Go,DEV=0
>      SB X-Fi Go!, USB Audio
>      4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> surround41:CARD=Go,DEV=0
>      SB X-Fi Go!, USB Audio
>      4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround50:CARD=Go,DEV=0
>      SB X-Fi Go!, USB Audio
>      5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> surround51:CARD=Go,DEV=0
>      SB X-Fi Go!, USB Audio
>      5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround71:CARD=Go,DEV=0
>      SB X-Fi Go!, USB Audio
>      7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
> iec958:CARD=Go,DEV=0
>      SB X-Fi Go!, USB Audio
>      IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

I think you can just do a "sudo killall pulseaudio" to test
temporarily.  In MythTV, go to the audio setup page, and hit the "scan
for audio devices" button (or whatever its called).  Then select the
appropriate device, probably the one that begins with "front".

Also, run alsamixer, and make sure none of the outputs are muted.