[mythtv-users] mythbackend still eats memory: the current status

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 18:27:42 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 6:25 AM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Growing over a longish time, more or less constantly indicates a leak.

To you, perhaps.  I think I'll be blunt here.   If you don't give
valgrind logs showing memory leaks in your configuration, nothing else
you have to say about memory leaks will be taken seriously.  You've
known this for months, and yet you keep trying to cry wolf with
absolutely no real proof.  Maybe, just maybe, the intricacies of the
Linux kernel's memory allocation system and of the very large
application that is MythTV is above your understanding.

If you want us to look into potential memory leaks, forget it.  Give
us proof of a memory leak (valgrind logs), or just give up.

> You are turnign around without answering the question asking you to explain.

The onus is on YOU to prove there is a leak, not on any of us to
explain how there isn't.

> Again data points in the otehr direction.
> If you do not accept the data that is your issue.
> I do not expect RAM usage to grow after a certain period. A day, a week,
> soemthign like that. But it does.

Your data is the wrong data.  You've been told this on countless
occasions.  Give up on that approach.

One last time:  if you suspect memory leaks... YOU do the leg work,
and YOU give real evidence of the leak.  I can't remotely run your
system under valgrind.  Only you can.  It is quite possible that you
are running in an unusual way that shows different memory
characteristics.  If YOUR setup is acting out of the ordinary.... YOU
have to do the debugging.

The next email from you on the matter should include or point to valgrind logs.

Thank you.