[mythtv-users] Transcoding SD MPEG2 to H.264---recommendations?

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Nov 30 16:11:01 UTC 2010

On 30/11/10 06:41, sonofzev at iinet.net.au wrote:

> I know I'm jumping in quite late, but have you tried the mythnuv2mkv.sh script..
> I've been using it for over a year and it's generally fantastic..

I'm jumping in late, too, and rather diffidently; but you might find my
script at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythcutprojectx useful as a test
cleaner-for-mpeg2-recordings, or perhaps as a basis for an h264
transcoder.  It replaces the original file with a Myth-aware cleaned
copy.  And note that there is a later version of ProjectX than the one
that is easiest to find!

One point I noticed in Dave Newman's script might affect later use of
its output.  I find that ProjectX doesn't like working with mpeg2 files
concatenated with 'cat'.  It has problems with the timestamps and
returns only the first section. Ymmv. It's ok if everything is demuxed
in sequence and then remuxed.

John P