[mythtv-users] Suspend / Resume

dargllun dargllun at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 30 08:40:43 UTC 2010

On 29.11.2010 15:54, dargllun wrote:
> So in my suspend script, I kill the BE process and suspend. After
> resume, I start the BE. The Frontend process is running all the time.
> However, the FE is now complaining about a missing connection to the BE.
> In 0.23 this dialog would quickly go away, with 0.24 the dialog does go
> away, but the recordings list isn't populated. Somehow the loss of
> connection doesn't seem to be recovered from as well as in the past.
>
> I don't know if I'm operating to the specs, so:
>
> * is there a way to sort of freeze the frontend process?

I had completely forgotten about this:

   kill -STOP `pidof mythfrontend.real`
   kill -CONT `pidof mythfrontend.real`

This does the job. Combined with some netcat -l checking I can now
reliably syncronize to various stages of the resume process, including
issuing some initial keystrokes to get me to the recordings list --
perfect! :-)

> * killing and restarting the BE is kind of like simulating a failover in
> a distributed environment, so isn't what I'm doing actually a valid
> usecase? Should I file a ticket?

I only worked around this. There might still be a bug.

Regards
greg