[mythtv-users] Video schema conflicts 0.24+fixes

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 21:17:48 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the confusion is that
>
> (1) there is only one database

One database maintaining independent schemas for "core" myth and plugins.

> (2) usually the database resides physically on the backend (although I
> know it doesn't have to) and is seen by many as an integral part of
> the backend.

This is a matter of (mistaken) perception, but I'll grant you that
that's what most people think.

> (3) it seems strange to many people that the database schema is
> updated by both the backend and the frontend, essenttially in two
> bites.

Independent schemas residing in one database.  Plugins have their
schema, backend has its own.  It's upgraded in two "bites" because
they are independent and unrelated (or at most, cousins).

Hope that this thread helps to clear up some of the confusion.
There's no way for the backend to upgrade plugin schemas, nor can
plugins upgrade backend schemas.  They are unaware of one another.

Robert