[mythtv-users] MythTV with Vintage Gear

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Nov 29 20:17:40 UTC 2010

On Monday, November 29, 2010 12:55:42 pm R. G. Newbury wrote:

> Dynaco! Haven't seen that name in some years!

Or their alter ego Dynakit, for those who want to build it themselves.

> I'll put my hand up for 1968 for a pair of Acoustic Research AR3A
> speakers, which were the audio output of my mythbox until about 6
> months ago. Too big! my wife said, so they are now set up on either
> side of the credenza I am typing at, here at the office, powered by
> an only 20+ year old Denon DRA-825RA, which allegedly pushes about
> 140W/channel @4 ohms. Works well: A recording of E. Power Biggs at
> the Fillmore can bring down dust from the ceiling tiles!

Ah, E. Power Biggs. I have several recordings he made on the Flentrop at
Harvard. Probably the greatest organist who ever lived.

He did look a lot like Bill O'Reilly, unfortunately:

http://randomography.posterous.com/?tag=1987

> The amplifier at home still is a Crown D75 of unknown early 70's
> vintage. Once upon a time, I used to drive the AR3A's with a Crown
> DC300. Good thing no-one had a sound pressure meter available back
> then.

I hope they were DC-300As, the 300s had a nasty tendency to put DC onto
the voice coils and burn them up, the "A" models used two DC blocking
capacitors in series, both of them had to short before your speakers
started smoking.

Acoustic Reasearch had some great gear, after seeing a demo of their
turntable playing an LP while being banged with a hammer, never skipping
a beat (or a track), I bought one immediately.