[mythtv-users] NVIDIA 720p == Overscan Slider; 1080i != Overscan slider?

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sun Nov 28 21:42:30 UTC 2010

On 29/11/2010 10:14 a.m., Nick Rout wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:07 AM, tortise<tortise at paradise.net.nz>  wrote:
>> On 29/11/2010 9:38 a.m., Nick Rout wrote:
>>

>>> Many tv's have different capabilities over VGA vs component vs HDMI. I
>>> have found HDMI to be the most accomodating. Have you tried it?
>>> (Assuming your 8500 has a DVI or HDMI socket).
>>>

>> Hi Nick
>>
>> It does have a DVI which I'd forgotten about, will give that a go and see
>> what transpires, thanks.
>>
>> My post was really about the overscan slider being present for 720p yet
>> absent with 1080i, something I'd expected the settings GUI to behave
>> consistently with.
>>

> Yeah I know what your question was, but seems to me:
>
> 1. why are you trying 1080i when it seems the TV advertises itself as
> Full HD, ie it should do 1080p.
>
> 2. overscan may manifestitself differently on different inputs.
>
> Also worth noting: my considerably older panasonic offers no or
> misleading edid info. It offers no pixel mapping setting. But as I say
> it's much older then yours.

To get the mythbuntu display to set to 1920x1080 I add the following
into xorg.conf:

     Option         "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT"
     Option         "NoLogo" "True"
#    Option         "TVStandard" "HD720p"
     Option         "TVStandard" "HD1080i"
     Option         "TwinView" "0"
#    Option         "metamodes" "1280x720 +0+0"
     Option "metamodes" "1920x1080 +0+0"
     SubSection     "Display"
         Depth       24
     EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
     Option         "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Thinking about it some more I guess if I used HDMI and set it to 1080p
it would probably run at 1080p, not sure if my card is up to that, but I
guess the thing to do is to try.

The NVIDIA vdpau setting options blurs the reality that transpires.  As
our "best" freeview content is currently 1080i and considering the
NVIDIA vdpau smarts image processing I am not sure there would be any
benefit running 1080p as I think NVIDIA is effectively spitting out
1080p class images from 1080i content.  (I still think sports are still
better seen with p class content but that's another issue)

Even this newer Panasonic does not seem to offer EDID, if my presumption
is correct that the setting gui only offers this option when it detects
EDID data is on the monitor, as it is on my 23" Viewsonic LCD.  I copied
the hor and vert frequency ranges from the manual into xorg.conf also.