[mythtv-users] NVIDIA 720p == Overscan Slider; 1080i != Overscan slider?

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sun Nov 28 20:28:15 UTC 2010

I got a new Panasonic Plasma 42" TH-P42V20Z.  Its a 1080p screen, some
specs at http://www.panasonic.co.nz/viera/plasma/th-p42v20z.html,
including it says

"Applicable PC signals VGA, WVGA, SVGA, XGA, WXGA, SXGA, 1920 x 1080"

which suggests to me I should be able to get pixel mapped 1920x1080
presumably over a VGA cable.  I wish!  I can get pixel mapped
1024x768 at 85Hz, but not much better over a VGA cable.

I updated the screen firmware from 3.205 to 3.500.  No help.

I finally found the overscan option switch off, which works when using
component, so fixed for this screen.

Previously I've been using a 720p input CRT via component up to now, and
the overscan slider in the GUI worked well.  Also does on the new
Panasonic.  However bumping it up to 1080i the GUI slider disappears(!)
  I don't recall comments about that although I do recall people not
being able to find it!  Anyone else noticed this in the context of being
present in 720p but not with 1080i?

The card in question is a 8500GT with 512M RAM.  (More RAM needed for
slider in 1080i?)  I'm running nvidia 260.19.21.