[mythtv-users] Finally upgraded from 9.10/0.22 to 10.04/0.23.1 : expected behaviour?

Daniel Born born_daniel at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 28 03:39:44 UTC 2010

>> Hi all,

 First of all, I must say that the transition when smoother than
anticipated! Aside from
>>re-setting up lirc, alsa and X, Myth pretty much
 "just worked" (including database
>>upgrade).
>> I created a second
partition on my OS disk and installed a fresh mythbuntu 10.04 with
database backup from 9.10 & restore on 10.04.

>> Now
the difference in behaviour for Myth: I'm recording HD with an HD-PVR

>>connected to my set-top box and I used to have slight video stutter when
 watching
>>LiveTV (when starting or when program changed) that got fixed
by quickly
>>pausing/unpausing. Recordings were always fine.

 Now I notice alot more audio stutter (but not video) when watching
LiveTV or
>>recordings. It will typically be 1/2 second sound on, 1/2
second sound off and pausing
>>won't fix it. Moving forward (30 sec) or
backward (5 sec) seems to fix it though.
>>Sometimes the sound will work
but will be about 3-5 seconds out of sync with the
>>video. Again, ff or
rew seems to re-align it.

>> My cpu load doesn't seem
abnormally high (less than 5% on Core2 Duo 3ghz) and I
>>am using vdpau
high. My hd-pvr has the most recent firmware and I am using analog
>>audio
 connected to the back rca connectors. I get daily builds (ppa).

>> Any idea on what to look for? (I don't think I'm ready to go for 0.24 just yet!)
>
>Please try to avoid posting HTML emails to this list - use plain text.
>
>Just upgrade to 0.24 - it's as simple as downloading one package from
>the MythBuntu website and following the prompts. You'll get better
>support here - nobody is interested in debugging old versions, even if
>they've only just be obsoleted.
>
>Don't bother with the update to Ubuntu 10.10, that still seems to be
>causing some issues for people.
>
>I'm afraid I can't help with the rest of your question, as I don't
>have an HD-PVR, and I suspect that might be the root of the problem.
>
>Long shot: Are you using VDPAU? If so, have you tried setting the
>vdpaubuffersize filter in the playback profile? I find I have to up it
>to 24-32 to get H.264 playback to behave.

Sorry about the html mail, I never realized it was doing that (I use yahoo mail), I turned it off now. Please let me know if it's still doing it.

I realize 0.23.1 is old news by now but was hoping if this was a well known problem, a few if not many people would have had it and figured it out by now. If this continues the way it is now, I may just go ahead and upgrade to 0.24 because 0.23.1 is much less useable for me than 0.22 was. I get regular pauses and time-outs, almost on every show, recorded or live. Of course, the all-important WAF is critical so I have to weigh what is best for me... ;-)

I just checked my vdpau custom filters and currently have this: "vdpaucolorspace=auto,vdpaustudio,vdpauhqscaling" but no vdpaubuffersize. I'm almost 100% sure I had that parameter back in 0.22... Maybe it didn't get restored from the database backup!? Anway, I'll add it back and see what it does.

Since I have a dual-boot setup, I may just replace my obsolete 9.10/0.22 partition with a copy of my current 10.04/0.23.1 and then upgrade to 0.24. That way, I can easily go back without much fuss.

I do notice in the mythfrontend.log file alot of:
NVP(3): Prebuffer wait timed out 10+ times.    and
NVP(3): prebuffering pause    and
RingBuffer::Reset() nonzero readpos.  toAdjust: 1 readpos: -3017313208 readAdjust: 5249132020
messages in there... I just had a series of 500+ lines right now spanning more than a minute, I do believe this is related to the HD-PVR...

Thanks,
Daniel