[mythtv-users] MythTV with Vintage Gear

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Nov 26 21:36:37 UTC 2010

On Friday, November 26, 2010 02:02:49 pm Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> The path my post about audio cards has taken has gotten me wondering
> if anyone else uses their Myth system with what mighe be called
> vintage gear.
>
> While my TV is now a Vizio 1080p 37", my main stereo is a 1971 Yamaha
> CR-400 and a pair of original Advent Loudspeakers, given to me by a
> cousin when I was in college around 1987. In 1990 I added a dbx
> subwoofer from the DAK catalog, the one they sold as "Krakatoa
> Erupts".

Those original Advent speakers came out about 1974 or 1975 IIRC. Advent
made some very nice stuff, including a high-end audio cassette deck
(actually a Wollensack transport with Advent electronics), and a
projection system intended for home use.

> For completeness the setup still includes the BIC turntable and Akai
> tapedeck the system came with. I am currently using the turntable,
> through the stereo into the Myth frontend to digitize any of my
> record collection that can't be obtained otherwise.

Akai tape machine were also sold under the name "Roberts" in the USA.

> Is anyone using anything older ? A Heathkit TV you built yourself
> perhaps ?

I used to be known by name to the people at the Heathkit store on west
45th street in NYC, where most of such shops moved when "Radio Row" was
relocated for the WTC project.