[mythtv-users] [mythtv] BrowserBased setup

Per Lundberg perlun at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 09:57:28 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 1:27 AM, Cecil Watson <knoppmyth at gmail.com> wrote:

> My view is, the back/frontend are on the same system in your living room.  A
> complete entertainment appliance.

While this is certainly one possible (and fully supported) way of
running MythTV, it is not at all always the optimal solution.

For me personally, I actually also run a headless backend. No monitor
(or even keyboard) is connected to this machine. It resides in a
"cold" (no heating) storage room on my upper floor. This location is
ideal because it is just a couple of meters from my satellite dish; I
have two cables running in from the outside to the machine. This will
(in the future, if/when I consider it necessary) enable me to add in
two DVB-S adapters in my system, for multiple simultaneous recordings.
I also have an antenna cable running up to this room from my "heating
room" in the ground floor, where future possible DVB-C signals will be
coming from.

Now, to get all of this to work in my living room... it would require
me to add more antenna cables from my "server room" to the "heating
room". It will require me to have more antenna cables to the living
room. This stuff would probably be quite a lot of work.

Instead, sending the whole signal using one single Ethernet cable is a
superior alternative, for me.

I hope now that you can see that for some people (like me), the MythTV
backend/frontend-architecture is totally superior.
--
Best regards,
Per Lundberg