[mythtv-users] [mythtv] BrowserBased setup

Cecil Watson knoppmyth at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 20:37:40 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Per Lundberg <perlun at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I hadn't read Mike's comment about moving this to mythtv-users.
> Please, Jean-Yves and Stuart, if you'd like to reply - post your reply
> to that list instead.
>
> > Hi Jean-Yves,
> --
> Best regards,
> Per Lundberg

Having read the -dev archives it seems, most of the discussion is in regards
to using Silverlight.  I'd ask another question.  Why move to a browser
based setup?  Seems the only argument is "there are quite a few of us that
have headless backends".

Having used MythTV for about 8 years or so and having started a distro
speciffically to make MythTV easier to install/use over 7 years ago, I
cannot say I can recall much discussion about headless backends.  Not saying
folks out there aren't running headless backends, I just don't see "quite a
few".

Since it's inception, after an install and reboot, KnoppMyth/LinHES has
automatically started mythtv-setup.  Now, it has been a while since I've
looked at other distros and I seem to recall reading MythDora has gone to a
browser based configuration.  My opinion, is that a MythTV setup should be
looked at like an appliance.  Most everything that needs to be done should
be doable with a remote via a "10' UI experience".

Now, I realize, that BrowserBasedSetup is in it's infancy.  However what
immediately comes to mind is instead of running mythtv-setup which I can
fully control with a just a remote, I'll have to launch a browser.  Will
MythBrowser work?  Will it work well with just a remote?  If I have to go to
another system to connect to the web server running on the backend, instead
of making it simpler, another layer of complexity has been added to setup
process.

Granted it is a rarity that one should have to run mythtv-setup, moving to
an all browser based setup seems short sighted.  Whatever issues exist in
setting up MythTV (distros aside), should be resolved in mythtv-setup.  If
desired, a broswer based setup should complement mythtv-setup not, replace
it.

--
Enjoy the day,

Cecil