[mythtv-users] mythbackend still eats memory: the current status

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 17:07:25 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On 2010-11-22 18:20, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
>>  There are real reasons that
>> things can grow in memory, and they don't always indicate "eating"
>> memory or leaking.
>
> Such as? Please elaborate so we can learn.
> I do think 90 megs is quite a bit for just repetitive 24/7 recording of
> 3 channels off of 1 multiplex.

The scheduler (especially in your fringe use case).  The various
housekeeper threads.  Management of external tasks like preview
generation and listings grabbing.  uPnP.  Autoexpire.  Threaded file
writing and reading.  And many, many others.

The point the above were making is, why do we have to re-teach you
every time that *only* valgrind output (with our current release,
meaning .24) is going to enable us to do anything for you?  We've been
through this drill with you at least a half dozen times, can't we just
skip to the part where you do something that actually demonstrates a
problem so that we can all move on with our lives?

Robert