[mythtv-users] 0.24 on Debian Squeeze

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 09:17:14 UTC 2010

On 23 November 2010 22:44, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 23, 2010 03:34:25 pm Josu Lazkano wrote:
>> Hello list!
>>
>> I am trying MythTV 0.24 on Ubuntu Maverick system, but I am a Debian
>> fan. I want to install MythTV 0.24 on a Debian Squeeze system. On the
>> debian-multimedia repository for the squeeze there is just 0.23
>> version.
>>
>> Is there any way to get 0.24 version with a "apt-get install" method?
>>
>> I see that Christian Marillat (debian-multimedia mantainer) is
>> packaging 0.24-0.4 version to Sid version.
>>
>> Have you install 0.24 version on a Debian machine?
>>
>> Thanks for all and best regards.
>
> I'd guess 0.24 is too new for the Debian folks to consider it "stable".

Bear in mind that debian-multimedia.org is an unofficial repository,
so MythTV is not officially "in Debian" (and won't be until at least
the MP3/ffmpeg issues are sorted out to permit it - see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=570611).

> Someone would need to compile and package it for Squeeze, which the
> Debian folks will probably do, in time. That's the purpose of Sid, to
> test it and see if it merits inclusion in the latest "stable" version,
> before it goes mainstream.

Sid is for testing whether the package is stable enough to enter the
testing distribution for the _next_stable release.

> So it's a good sign that 0.24 is in queue for "testing" (Sid).

I don't know how different (if at all) the class progression
(especially testing->stable) of packages is for the unofficial
repositories when compared to the official Debian repos, but I hope
0.24 reaches dmo/testing soon.

Cheers,
Nick

--