[mythtv-users] [SOLVED] Re: Closed captioning woes in 0.24?

Eloy Paris peloy at chapus.net
Wed Nov 24 08:48:58 UTC 2010

Hi Mark,

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 07:56:08AM +0800, Mark Kendall wrote:

> On 24 November 2010 02:08, Eloy Paris <peloy at chapus.net> wrote:
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:35:22AM +0800, Mark Kendall wrote:
> >> Try posting the output of mythfrontend -v playback,vbi somewhere.
> >
> > Sure thing; glad to:
>
> I was going to ask all sorts of questions until I spotted one thing in
> your logs:-
>
> 2010-11-23 10:35:01.536 MPEG2Dec: Using libmpeg2 for video decoding
>
> What happens if you use standard ffmpeg?

Well, this is sort of embarrassing -- using the ffmpeg decoder
everything works as before, i.e. perfectly. Perfectly means that I get
the option of selecting either VBI CC or ATSC subtitles for all of my
recordings, and both work just fine.

How I ended up with a frontend configured to use libmpeg2 for video
decoding is the part that baffles me. What I found is that this frontend
was configured to use the default CPU-- playback profile, which
fallsback to libmpeg2 if ivtv and XvMC fail.

I don't recall ever selecting this profile so my current theory is
that my little son, who likes pushing any and all buttons he can put
his hands on, somehow managed to get to playback profile configuration
screen and messed things up. It's a stretch, though, since getting to
this specific screen is not easy, but the profile seems to be missing
some of the default entries, and I have never changed the default
profiles (I create new ones), so this seems to support the "my son
screwed things up" theory.

In any case, thanks a bunch for looking into this and for providing the
solution. You really nailed this. What made you suspect it was libmpeg2,
BTW; is it known to have some deficiencies?

Apologies for the false alarm and for wasting people's time.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-