[mythtv-users] Closed captioning woes in 0.24?

Eloy Paris peloy at chapus.net
Tue Nov 23 18:08:39 UTC 2010

Hi Mark,

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:35:22AM +0800, Mark Kendall wrote:

> On 23 November 2010 11:23, Eloy Paris <peloy at chapus.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 03:26:24AM -0500, Eloy Paris wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Is anyone having closed captioning problems with 0.24? Closed
> >> captioning has been working great for me but it is giving me
> >> problems after I upgraded to 0.24. When playing back a recording
> >> the playback menu sometimes does not even have a "Subtitles"
> >> submenu, and when it does, turning on ATSC CC does not work (no
> >> captions are displayed). Also, my recordings used to have both
> >> ATSC CC and VBI CC. Now most recordings only seem to have ATSC CC,
> >> including old recordings that I am pretty sure have both.
> >>
> >> Playing recordings with VLC does give closed captions.
> >>
> >> Could you share you experience with CC in 0.24?
> >
> > When running the frontend with -v vbi I see lots of these in the
> > frontend log:
> >
> > 2010-11-22 22:14:06.606 VBI: Unknown descriptor: 1
> > 2010-11-22 22:14:06.607 VBI: Unknown descriptor: 153
> > 2010-11-22 22:14:06.607 VBI: Unknown descriptor: 1
> > 2010-11-22 22:14:06.608 VBI: Unknown descriptor: 153
> > 2010-11-22 22:14:06.608 VBI: Unknown descriptor: 224
> > 2010-11-22 22:14:06.608 VBI: Unknown descriptor: 153
> > 2010-11-22 22:14:06.608 VBI: Unknown descriptor: 241
> > 2010-11-22 22:14:06.763 VBI: Unknown descriptor: 153
> >
> > I don't know if I had these before when CC was working since I just
> > enabled -v vbi to further troubleshoot this, but closed captions
> > have certainly worked for me until now.
> >
> > I could swear that closed captions were working for me in some of
> > the 0.24 releases that I have run and if that is the case, then
> > they stopped working after some 0.24-fixes upgrade that I did since
> > nothing else in the system has been upgraded.
> >
> > Any ideas or suggestions?
>
> Try posting the output of mythfrontend -v playback,vbi somewhere.

Sure thing; glad to:

1. http://chapus.net/tmp/house-with-vbi-cc.txt

When I playback this recording, the Playback menu -> Subtitles sub-menu
gives me the option to choose between VBI CC or ATSC subtitles. When I
played this recording back I turned on VBI CC, which is what I normally
use (or used, since it doesn't work anymore). The above file contains
the stderr output from mythfrontend with -v playback,vbi.

2. http://chapus.net/tmp/two-and-a-half-men-atsc-cc.txt

When I playback this recording, the Playback menu -> Subtitles sub-menu,
only shows the ATSC Subtittles option. When I played this recording back
I turned on ATSC subtitles. The above file contains the stderr output
from mythfrontend with -v playback,vbi.

3.  http://chapus.net/tmp/good-wife-atsc-cc.txt

When I playback this recording, the Playback menu -> Subtitles sub-menu,
only shows the ATSC Subtittles option. When I played this recording back
I turned on ATSC subtitles. The above file contains the stderr output
from mythfrontend with -v playback,vbi.

(3) is basically the same as (2). However, I decided to also play (3)
since that recording was done when I was running 0.23-fixes, and I am
pretty sure I was able to have both VBI and ATSC CC back then.

Do you see anything suspicious in these logs?

> I've just checked some test clips here and there doesn't appear to be
> a problem (trunk - but nothing should have changed since 0.24)

Yes, it is pretty weird since I am pretty sure I had working Closed
Captioning in some 0.24 release that I ran. I haven't downgraded but
I think I'll give that a try just to see if it's some change that was
introduced in 0.24-fixes. I saw your commits 27220 and 27124 in the
0.24-fixes changelog but I cannot see how these would have broken
anything.

Thanks in advance for taking a look.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-