[mythtv-users] DirecTV HTTP Server

jmk jmk at foofus.net
Tue Nov 23 15:43:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 12:46 -0600, Greg Oliver wrote:
> I have never used getTuned..  Not really a use in it for me..  My hr21
> was tuning yesterday morning, but the script was not returning success,
> so I imagine mythtv was not moving on.  I do not know - did not have
> time to debug it.

The getTuned function was simply my "is it working" tool. I think I
figured out what happened for me. In System Setup->Whole-Home->External
Device, the Current Program option was set to Block. Setting this to
Allow seems to have fixed the getTuned option. I'm guessing this was
initially allowed and the latest DirecTV update set it to blocked. FWIW,
I stumbled on the document "DTV-MD-0359-DIRECTV SHEF Public Beta Command
Set-V1.0.pdf", which provides a nice detailed description of the
service. I'm guessing others have seen it, but if not, it's full of
info.

I'm currently using a D11 (via PVR-250), H21-100 (HD-PVR) and OTA
(HDHomerun) with Myth. The output from the D11 and H21-100 are decent,
but there's really little discernible difference. The H21 output simply
doesn't compare to the OTA content, which is excellent. Is DirecTV HD
really that bad and not much, if any, better than their SD? It seems
silly to be paying for HD content, when it's the same quality as what I
get from the SD D11. I'm curious if others are seeing different results
for DirecTV SD vs DirecTV HD vs OTA HD.

Joe