[mythtv-users] [ATrpms-users] Fedora vs. CentOS - Thoughts

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Tue Nov 23 05:12:43 UTC 2010

On 11/22/2010 05:46 AM, John Welch wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 6:19 AM, Phill Edwards<philledwards at gmail.com>  wrote:
> Just to add another reference point, I use CentOS on just about all my
> Linux servers at work because of the stability / reliability.
> However, at home, for both desktops and "servers", I prefer Fedora.  I
> feel that for multimedia packages, like MythTV, it is advantageous to
> have the latest kernel bits / modules available "out of the box", so
> to say, without having to worry about compiling anything or using
> workarounds.  IMO, at this point moving from one version of Fedora to
> another is becoming ...
I, too, use fedora at home and Centos at work.  At home I use an
external USB (MyBook) for expendable backup (recordings).  When I built
a new server at work, I thought it would be a cost-effective solution to
use a MyBook for similar, low-cost backup of data that are not all that
important, but "nice to have" some times.  At home, with fc7, I just
plugged it in and it worked.  And that was SEVEN upgrades back!  With
Centos I had to muck around to get it to work and that was the latest
version (5.4) back in April.  I got it to work (something to do with a
driver option, I think), and it will work without touching it for the
next 10 years, which is what I want at work.  But I'll be upgrading to
the new Myth 0.25 at home the minute it comes out.  I have VERY good
stability with fc13 (and 12, and 11) as well as near state of the art
features.

Upgrading fedora has become a non-event.  I've upgraded from 11 to 12
and again from 12 to 13 by simply uninstalling MythTV, doing the upgrade
with yum (not bothering with the preupgrade), then re-installing Myth.
BTW, I only upgrade when support is dropped.  That way when I upgrade,
I'm upgrading to a mature version, rather than leading edge.  Seems to
make things quite stable.  But, if you don't want to do the upgrade
every 6 months, maybe Centos is  better for you.  I DON'T advise
skipping one (I skipped fc9 and regretted it), but if you keep up, it
seems to go smoothly.

Dave D.