[mythtv-users] teletext spacing ?

raptor jr raptorjr at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 21 10:08:15 UTC 2010

> I am using "analogue" style teletext on dutch satellite tv for the subtitles (888).
>
> I am using Mythbuntu 0.24-fixes, and although everything works, the text is really hard to read. The problem is:
>
> Instead of looking like this the : T h e T e l e t e x t l o o k s l i k e t h i s !
>
> It is worse than monospaced font, its as if there is an extra space between every character. It happens on all >my frontends, and with all fonts I've tried. Digital text / subtitles are fine.

I have the same problem and it's keeping me from moving to 0.24.

>That's because there IS an extra space between each character! Teletext uses fixed sized/spaced characters >and hence there is no flexibility for enlarging captions. Broadcasters work around this by using the double height >character code but clearly this doesn't increase the width. Rather than having horizontally squashed text, the >norm seems to be to insert extra spaces to stretch the text.

I'm running a old version, little before 0.23 (22722), and everything looks good there. Even though the text gets cut of sometimes because it gets to long. But its much easier to read than 0.24.
With your explanation it sounds that there is nothing that can be done with this problem and we have to live with it?

/Stefan