[mythtv-users] Store Recording Previews in a seperate location

Justin Dunn jd2660 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 20 22:35:25 UTC 2010

On 11/19/2010 6:51 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> -----Original Message----- From: Michael T. Dean
> Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2010 7:31 AM
> To: Discussion about MythTV
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Store Recording Previews in a seperate
> location
>
>  On 11/14/2010 06:09 AM, Justin Dunn wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I would like have the recording previews stored in a separate directory.
>> I searched and found the thread at
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/378114#378114
>> which lists information about a patch to do that because created.
>> Does anyone know what happened to that patch or of another way to
>> store Previews in a separate directory?
>
> There's no patch.  Each time I started on it, someone talked me out of
> writing it because there's really not any big benefit to it (especially
> when compared to the amount of work/code required).
>
> On 11/19/2010 17:36, Justin Dunn wrote:
>> Ok, Thanks for the information.
>> Just wondering how much work is required? It seems like all you would
>> need to do is change a couple lines of code to use a storage group
>> path but I'm not that familiar with the code so I don't know.
>> Justin
>
> Conversely, where is the benefit to making the change?  The recordings
> directory is never intended to viewed directly.  Such a change should
> be purely cosmetic, cleaning up a folder that should never be accessed
> anyway.  If you _do_ think you want to access that folder, you should
> really be accessing formatted links generated by mythlink.pl.

I do access my recordings directory directly via SSH and SAMBA.
Actually I just have a videos directory that contains recordings, videos
I've ripped and videos I've downloaded.
I prefer using the file system for organization instead of a database.
I have mythvideo and samba set for "/mnt/mythtv/videos" and mythtv
recordings set for "/mnt/mythtv/video/Misc Recordings" (Actually did,
I've changed the end part slightly now)
I created a patch for mythtv that when it records it's uses a file name
of "Show (XXXX) - Subtitle.ext".
The XXXX is created by adding the values of the recording year, month,
day, hour, minute and seconds. Also if the Subtitle is empty, it uses
the original air date if it's exists, otherwise it uses the recording
start date.
I end up with a file name like "The Tonight Show (3049) -
2010.11.11.mpg" and "Community (3056) - Cooperative Calligraphy.mpg".
The code also removes any "\" characters from the name as that messes up
path names.
It's not perfect and I do end with file names that windows will not
accept due to the special characters like ":".
I use the storage groups to have separate directories for some shows
like "The Tonight Show" and "Interviews".
I also move videos between the directories when I want to reorganize
them and rename them. I have scripts to update the datebase to the
correct file name path.
Justin