[mythtv-users] flash-capable frontend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Nov 19 16:49:00 UTC 2010

On Friday, November 19, 2010 09:24:49 am jedi wrote:

>    In general, I would go with the Intel CPUs over the AMD ones as
> the Intels seem to perform better in my experience. I am sure
> someone else has different ideas.

Could you elaborate? "Better" in terms of absolute performance?
Performance per dollar? Better in terms of performance per watt?

Obviously an AMD Phenom II X4 will "perform" better than an Atom, but
that's not a very helpful comparison. We need to try and compare apples
to apples as much as we can, but there are a LOT of variables. Mobo and
RAM costs, warranty terms and many other factors go into making a
decision on a CPU.

So I guess I'm asking what use cases cause you to prefer Intel.

I've always had good results with AMD CPUs, on a dollar for dollar basis
I think they are a better deal than the Intel chips, at least this month
:-) OTOH I have several dual-xeon servers that compete well with my dual
Opteron units.

I tend to buy machines that are a step or two behind the latest and
greatest, I feel I get more for my money without paying the Early
Adopters Premium that way, and at least some of the bugs have been found
(like the TLB problem with the early Phenoms, I avoided that one by
waiting).

Buying too much CPU (yes, you can have too fast a chip) is just as silly
as not buying enough. You need to match the hardware to the task at
hand.