[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.24 OSD Responsiveness

dargllun dargllun at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 19 14:59:05 UTC 2010

On 19.11.2010 15:48, Andre wrote:

> On 19 Nov 2010, at 14:26, Tom Evans wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just upgraded to MythTV 0.24, running on Mythbuntu 10.04 (64
>> bit). Overall it's great, but I've noticed that the OSD menus are
>> quite sluggish, with a good 1/2 second or more delay between
>> pressing a key and the menu selection updating. Has anyone else
>> noticed this problem?
>
> Same here and that's on a 1.8Ghz C2D (clocked at 1Ghz) with a 1GB
> GT220 and 2GB ram so hardware should be plenty fast enough.

What themes are you guys using? Now that the OSD was consolidated with
MythUI, the sames goes for the OSD as with the other UI elements: it is
very much dependent on the theme's complexity. Arclight for instance is
performing slower then, say, Childish or Mythbuntu.

Also, with OSD, I would believe that the rendering methods may play a
role (xv vs. opengl). The overall tendency seems to be towards opengl,
and I think that's what most theme authors use. So if you run on xv, you
might try opengl, if that's an option for you. For me it isn't,
unfortunately (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9216).

This is all from my personal observatio -- experts & devs please correct
me if I'm spreading FUD here.

Regards
d.