[mythtv-users] no 2ch AC3 passthrough when speakers == Stereo

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Nov 19 12:58:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 18:55 +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> I thought you wanted passthrough for stereo AC3 !

Not really.  As I reported before, my receiver has a problem in where it
takes it a second or two to start decoding and playing an AC3 stream
after it's given it, so when you start playing a recording, you miss the
first second or two of audio and have to wind back to get it.

The only reason I reported it, really, was that I thought the behaviour
was inconsistent (and confusing) with the options I had selected.  It
also pointed out for me the lack of needed options (well, only one
really, if LPCM was made to have a higher preference than DTS/DD per the
other thread I started about that), to let me fully decide how I wanted
audio handled.

> inconsistency only exists for people staring at their amplifier and
> check the AC3 or DTS icon lighting up, because sound wise, it would
> have been the same..

True enough.  But I figured it might lead others to the same kind of
confusion I experienced.

> Which at the end of the day, is the only thing that matters: it sounds the same

Sure, as long as one doesn't think too much about what is happening and
what options one has selected.

I suppose ultimately it is probably safe enough to assume that anything
a Myth FE outputs it's sound to is at least stereo and always decode
AC3.

Cheers,
b.